July 6, 2009

Got Boy(s)?


This time it's not for drinking.

I had to call in a consult to urology for one of my patients and I was happy to learn that the doctor with whom I'd be speaking was an attending of mine when I was in medical school. After we talked professionally, I ended our conversation by informing him that I was pregnant with a boy. He congratulated me and said, "You need only do three things: Get him circumcised*, check for a strong stream, and make sure both testicles are well hung."

We're three for three, but that stream is one to be reckoned with! I've already lost track of how many times I've been sprayed or had to re-wash the changing pad. My solution has been to make these little cups from paper towels, using only a small amount of tape to hold it together. Instructions can be found here. I've talked this over with friends and I'm told the alternatives are draping a simple washcloth (if you don't mind the extra washing), positioning tiny Dixie cups stuffed with tissue, or applying the Pee-pee Teepee shown at this website by Beba Bean.

***Do YOU have a better solution or funny story about this joy of having a son?***

* There's actually no medical indication for this, he's just a big fan.

5 comments:

Trent said...

Hi. I went to Jr and Sr high school with your husband. My wife and I have a 9 month old boy and we've both been peed on more times than we can count. We tried the "Pee Pee Teepee" and it didn't work at all for us--they are so light that as soon as he peed they'd fly off, so pee still went everywhere and then we had a wet pee pee teepee to wash on top of it.

My technique, which still results in pee getting everywhere on occasion (but less often), is this: unfasten the old diaper, pull it back briefly (to give him that air-on-his-genitals feeling that I consider a trigger), then let it rest loosely back over his "junk" for a few seconds as I prepare the new diaper, pull a couple wipes, etc. Once I have the stuff ready to go, I then just try to work fast while I have the new diaper ready at hand in case he starts to go (I'll use it to catch what I can).

If it were I huge problem though I think a washcloth would be a good option--it would work much better than the "teepees."

Trent said...

I forgot to mention that we're in Chicago too. Also my wife started blogging after our son was born. She mostly writes about trying to balance work and family: http://moremadder.blogspot.com/.

Unknown said...

I went to Kellogg with Tim. I made the comment about the Itzbeen timer. Probably should have identified myself back then.

We have 4.5 month old boy and I use a cloth diaper to cover during a diaper change. I find it is more absorbent than a wash cloth. The cloth diapers are also great for spit up.

Monique said...

Thanks Trent and Donna!

Looks like I'll have to try these techniques for comparison and report back.

In the meantime, a friend sent along this link to find humor in the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJ3p5TDKpA

Salem said...

Haha. I'm so glad you found my blog...and now I'm glad to have found yours!!! Congratulations! I've been wondering how you are doing...and finally heard the announcement in church on Sunday. Great Father's day present! I have to say that one (maybe one of the only) reason(s) that I am thrilled to be having a girl is to not have to worry about being sprayed in the face in the middle of the night while changing a diaper. Not so fun...I'm not sure if I have any good advice/tips...but I guess I would just say to "be prepared." :) It sounds like you are coming up with great options...and I'm sure you and Tim are having a blast with the little guy. Can't wait to meet him!!! And hopefully soon he'll have a little girl playmate in the ward....although at this point I'm not really counting on it...I think she's making a permanant home...take care!!!