August 17, 2009

My Tailbone May Never Be the Same: Part I


I hope not to need a cushion for sitting for the rest of my life.

The medical literature doesn't mention coccygodynia (tailbone pain) until 1726, either women weren't forthcoming about this common problem or men didn't pay attention until then!

Anywho, from my brief literature perusal I've come to discover that it's not uncommon for women to be told that pain in their tailbone is all in their head. The reasons for this are that nothing can be seen on X-ray or MRI, and/or the pain does not improve with standard treatment.

To aid diagnosis, any imaging study should be performed to include views of the patient sitting down. This would seem like a no-brainer, especially since that's when most people complain of discomfort, but it is not a traditional way of looking at things!

Alas, my baby has decided to teeth early. . . I'll discuss more later.

4 comments:

Mandee said...

Ouch! I have had problems with pain in my tailbone as well. Mine has been going on for many many years. I think I'm just getting used to dealing with it. It sure doesn't help when you carry 4 Big babies in there either!
I'm following you from MBC! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, he's already teething? That was quick!

Theta Mom said...

Ouch...not fun! My baby girl got her first teeth at four months. :)

Robin said...

Yikes! Hope this resolves for you!
-Robin
www.robingillis.blogspot.com