January 15, 2010

Breast is Still the Best


Don't get me wrong from my previous post.

Breastfeeding is still the best choice for mother and baby. I would not have struggled as I did if that weren't true. Breastmilk gives babies their greatest nutritional support, decreases their chance of infection, while lowering mommy's cancer risk.

My goal was to make it to six months. Whenever I felt like giving up, I thought about the following two examples of perseverance:

  • Dr.W: Another resident mommy, pumped for months in between 4+ hour orthopedic surgeries. When she got engorged, Dr.W wasn't allowed to adjust her bra because not only was she 'scrubbed in,' she also had a lead apron on top!
  • Lanisa Allen: Had to sneak away to use a public bathroom to pump her milk and was fired for it. See her story here.


No comments: