July 3, 2009

Have a Safe 4th of July


Consider the children!

[I realize that this post, coupled with the previous, will have people thinking I'm hellbent on using my medical knowledge to freak out parents everywhere. Sorry 'bout that.]

When I was a fourth year medical student I did a rotation in otolaryngology (ENT) and I'll never forget a discussion my classmates and I had with the chief resident. We wanted to know who the real "masters of the airway" are: Anesthesia vs. ENT. The chief said it depends on how you look at it, when someone is choking you'll want to call him because ENT uses a rigid scope to retrieve all sorts of things. He went on to list a few of the items he's pulled out from little kids like broccoli, chips, quarters. . . but never hotdogs.

You're wondering, as we were, why not hotdogs? His reply: "Oh, those kids are always dead on arrival. . . hotdogs, just the size of their airspace with a consistency that gives too much to be pushed or pulled out. *sigh* People, cut your hotdogs LENGTHWISE."

You thought this post was going to be about fireworks, didn't you?

1 comment:

Theta Mom said...

Great post! My friend is a school nurse and she also said grapes are the same... I still freak out sometimes cutting up a hotdog for my son, making sure he won't choke! By the way, thanks for checking out my blog...I am in the process of a quick re-design, so stay tuned. :)